Return to Home Port

T1 Title

Rope line

T1 castings & materials

T1 valve chest castings
Jan00

T1 cylinder castings

My new project for Y2K (or is it M3?): the construction of a Taylor T1 2" x 2" single with Stephenson Link reversing gear.

I collected the castings just before Christmas '99 and made a start milling the baseplate. The baseplate is a revised design for this engine. It uses the heavier casting for the TJ twin but has only two main bearings rather than the three used on earlier T1s. The crankshaft (the rectangular block of steel in the photos above) will be beefed-up to compensate.

I had received the plans a couple of months earlier and so had been able to begin work on some of the parts made from stock materials; such as the columns and the drag link. However I've spent most of the time redrawing the plans full-size using AutoSketch to resolve some of the ambiguities in my own mind and ensure that I working with a consistent set of optional features.

If any previous builders of this engine have any comments on the construction, I'd be glad to hear from them.

T1 baseplate, columns & entablature
Feb00

Bedplate and crankshaftRoughing out the crankshaft
Mar00

Crankshaft almost completed with counter-weights
Apr00

Facing the cylinder on my newly devised milling table
May00

Boring the cylinder
Jun00

Steam chest and covers fitted to cylinder
Jul00

Eccentric sheaves and straps
Aug00
Eccentric rods and drag link
Sep00

Several small parts added
Dec00

Gear lever fitted
Dec00
Gear lever fitted
Dec00

Several small parts added
Mar01

Several small parts added
Mar01
Several small parts added
Mar01

Complete!

Apr01

Complete!

Complete!

Return to
Home Page